Friday, July 27, 2012

It’s Olympic time again!

I am very excited that today is the official start of the 2012 Summer Olympics. I love everything about the Olympics, the pomp and circumstance of the opening and closing ceremonies, the athlete’s stories, the convergence of the world’s view on one city/country and of course watching the events.

I guess I am an Olympic geek, but as you probably know by now, I love all kinds of sports. I know there are a lot of people who don’t care for the Olympics. They feel most of the sports aren’t relevant and it is all too commercial. I can agree with them on a certain level but it is still the biggest event in the world and it only happens every 4 years. So it is something I totally embrace.  I am extremely impressed by the athletes who train their entire lives with one goal in mind, compete at the Olympics. That is true dedication!

I will pretty much watch any event and I will always cheer to the US athletes. I feel like the Olympics bring out the best in people and it brings nations together. I have been lucky enough to have worked at two different Olympics (Atlanta and Salt Lake City), so I have seen and felt the excitement that takes over the city and towns where the events take place. It is truly electric!

Also, since my oldest son was born in the middle of August 2004, when the Athens Olympics were going on, we spent many late nights up with him watching the games. Also, the games were on in the birthing room while Meg was in labor. So not only do we love watching the games, it brings back memories of my first days with Mac.

I can’t wait to see what London has in store for us, as far as the ceremonies go, they have a tough show to follow after the wonderful opening and closing ceremonies of Beijing.

Enjoy the games and Go USA!

No comments: