Friday, July 16, 2010

Wine Review – 2007 Saint-Esprit Cotes du Rhone

It happens to me every year even thought I don’t purposely do it. I tend to drink more Cotes du Rhones mid summer than other reds. I think it is because I love watching the Tour de France so much! I just love to watch the bike race and see all the beautiful scenary of France and drinking a good Cote du Rhone helps add to the enjoyment, almost like we are there.

The Saint Esprit is made from a blend of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre and Carignan grapes, which come from a small village in the Ardeche region. The color is deep garnet red and has intense red berry aromas but the taste is not a fruit forward as the smell. Actually it lacks fruit flavors but does provide nice spicy and earthy undertones. It is more of a medium bodied wine and provides a smooth finish. I think this wine will improve with some age and at the price of around $14.99 you could buy a few now to enjoy and save a few for a couple of years down the road. It paired well with our spicy shrimp pasta and the Tour de France!

Cheers!

No comments: