Friday, January 15, 2010

The search is over!

The Bulldog nation can stop holding their breath now we have a defensive coordinator! Georgia head coach Mark Richt announced he had completed his six-week search to replace the deposed Willie Martinez by announcing that Dallas Cowboys defensive line coach Todd Grantham had agreed to become the Dawgs defensive coordinator.

"We have our man," Richt said.


I am pleased with this hire but I am not sure why it took so long. I think some of the names that were thrown out early in the search were just names. I don’t really think John Chavis was really pursued but I am sure Bud Foster and Kirby Smart was made offers. Sure I think the Kirby Smart story would have been great, but I was never really counting on him to leave Alabama. Not after they won a National Title and have most of their defensive guys coming back. Also, I knew Saban would do what ever it took to keep him there.

I feel that Todd Grantham has a good resume and will be able to pull from his experience in the NFL (11 years) and college (9 years). From Dallas, Grantham said in a statement: “I am very excited about being part of a staff that will work tremendously hard to return Georgia football to one of the premier teams in the SEC. To the fans and boosters of the University of Georgia, I understand the passion and standard of excellence expected. I look forward to developing an aggressive, physical, attacking style defense that offenses will not look forward to playing against.” I hope he will bring back the Junk Yard Dawgs mentality and our defense will get after the other teams.

Grantham got a three-year contract that will pay him $750,000 per year. This makes him the third highest paid coordinator in the country. That tells me that Coach Richt and Damon Evans are serious about getting the team back on top in the SEC.

Go Dawgs!



No comments: