Monday, December 7, 2009

I hear Shreveport is beautiful in December!

Well, at least the Dawgs got a bowl invitation! After the shakedown of all of the higher bowls over the weekend, it seems the Dawgs (7-5) are getting what they deserved. They will be playing a tough Texas A&M (6-6) team on Dec 28th at The Independence Bowl. This is pretty much what I was expecting. I had a little glimmer of hope that the Dawgs would get picked for the Chick-fil-a bowl but I was really expecting either the Independence Bowl or the Music City Bowl. I don’t blame the bowl committees for the other bowls to pass on Georgia. This has been a down season and now they won’t have three of their coaches on the sidelines so who know what the defense will do. Richt extended an invitation to the three coaches he let go to coach in the bowl game, but they all three declined. So Richt said he will work with defensive-line coach Rodney Garner and two graduate assistants to prepare the defense for the Aggies, who have one of the nation's most prolific offenses. That is scary to think of!

I didn’t see much of Texas A&M this year but I did see them give Texas all they could handle on Thanksgiving night. The Aggies rank No. 5 among the 120 major-college teams in total offense, averaging 465.3 yards per game. They rank 22nd nationally in passing offense and 25th in rushing offense. So stopping these guys is going to be a real challenge. I hope those grad assistants are defensive geniuses! Luckily, the Aggies are nearly as good on defense as they are on offense. I think it will be a good game and there will be some points put on the board by both teams.

Granted, this was not the bowl most of the fans were hoping for, but at least it is a bowl. This will be the Dawgs 13th straight bowl appearance and that is not a bad streak. I think there will be a pretty good turnout for the game by the Georgia fans. I expect that most or all of the 12,000 tickets allotted for Georgia will be sold. The win over Georgia Tech has gotten the enthusiasm and morale back up!


Go Dawgs!

No comments: