Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wood Tour

Over the weekend, the well oiled machine that is Widespread Panic rolled back into Atlanta as part of their small venue acoustic tour appropriately named “Wood Tour.” It is a 4 city tour where they play the entire night acoustically. Due to the fact that they are playing relatively small venues, tickets were hard to come by. I was lucky enough to score some tickets for the Saturday show in the ATL at the famous Tabernacle.


First of all, I love the Tabernacle! What a great venue! The sound is really good and there is not a bad seat in the house. This is the smallest venue I have seen Panic play in person in many, many years. It was really cool!

Over their three night run in Atlanta, they played some great stuff. Of course they played some of their best know songs and dusted off some older ones that don’t get played too often. They also played some new ones both originals and covers. On Saturday, they ended the show with Many Rivers to Cross which was written by the great reggae artist Jimmy Cliff. I loved their version! It was a great way to end a great night of acoustic music.

The boys from Athens only have a few more shows to play before they take a hiatus for the rest of the year. They totally deserve it since they have been touring relentlessly for years. So, as of right now, that was my last Panic show for a while. I am glad I was able to catch them in such a great venue so in case they decide to stay on permanent hiatus. But I am totally expecting them to come back refreshed and ready for many more years in starting in 2013. They head down to Mexico for a few shows then back to Colorado to finish the mini tour. I really wish I could have worked things out to make any of those shows! They should be good ones!

Rock and Roll!

No comments: