Friday, September 23, 2011

REM Breaks Up!

I am surprised but not shocked that REM has decided to call it quits as a band. It has almost been 30 years! They have cemented themselves as one of the best and always evolving rock bands in history and I am not just saying that because they are from Athens. They truly have changed the landscape of music history.

I have had the privilege of seeing the guys play in small places light the 40 Watt and the Uptown Lounge. I have seen them in medium sized venues and festivals as well as playing sold out arenas and huge festivals. Each show was solid and entertaining. Their albums have evolved and matured along with the guys. I wasn't surprised that they carried on after Bill Berry (the original drummer) left to become a farmer, I knew Michael, Mike and Peter still had music in them, but I am little surprised they have decided to stop now. They recently came out with another solid album but when there was no tour to accompany it, I thought something was up. Yeah, they are getting older now, but that is the life they have been living so I thought that was odd.

Anyway, I am sure each of the members will continue to be involved with music and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get back together in future years. Until then, I want to thank them for kick starting my love of music and for all of the great memories I have either seeing them live or listening to their albums. I look forward to seeing what comes next for them and for seeing their reunion tour in five years!

Here is an early clip of the boys on Letterman, circa 1983!

No comments: