Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Brett Dennen

As you might know by now, I love to see live music. When I was younger we would see live bands play two to three times a week depending on which acts were coming through town. Now that I am more of an adult I don’t get out to the music venues that often. There are still bands that come through and I have to go see when ever they come to town. Over the weekend one of my favorite singer/songwriter game to Variety Playhouse, Brett Dennen.
Brett Dennen is from California and began playing music as a camp counselor when he was in his early teens. He attended UC Santa Cruz and graduated in 2004. Shortly after, he hit the road to pursue his music career. He has just released his 4th CD (Loverboy) and it is as solid as his first three. He writes songs that are from the heart and very personal. He has an unusual playing style and often has some odd beats in his songs. For me, his music is very catchy and entertaining and talks to me on a personal level. He is involved in several charities including the The Mosaic Project, which he helped form.

We went down with our good friends Mike and Kelley and had a nice dinner before hand then headed over to the theater. The show was another good one from Brett and his band. He has expanded his backing band from the last time he toured and that added another dimension to his music. The venue was sold out and everyone was singing and dancing along with the music. If you get a chance to see him live, do so! If not, pick up one of his CD’s, you won’t be disappointed!

No comments: