Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Givng Thanks and pairings

Thanksgiving is upon us and there are a lot of things to be thankful for. I usually create a list of the most important things that I am thankful for in my life. I am going to stick with that tradition but this time I am not going to elaborate like I did in previous years so I can get to a more pressing question which I will address after my list. So, here is a quick list of the things that I am thankful for:

My wife and kids
My family (both immediate and extended)
My friends
The fact I have a job
Our Troops
The Kindness of strangers
And so much more!

Also, I am very thankful for Thanksgiving dinner. Which will tie into the question I have gotten several times this week. What wine goes best with the traditional Thanksgiving dinner? This is a tough question since there are so many different traditional sides that go along with the standard turkey. But it is not rocket science and the first thing I ask people is what is their favorite wine that they would drink at a non-Thanksgiving dinner. Some people answer with Chardonnay, or Pinot Noir or Merlot, or even Champagne. My response to them is all of those would go well with a traditional turkey and sides. The most important thing to remember is, drink what you like not what a book or a blog tells you.

Usually on the table you can find a match for most any wine. If you want to break it down, white wines (Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc) would go great with the bird, but maybe not so great with some of the sweet or tart items on the table. While a Riesling of Gewurztraminer would go better with those sweet sides or the tart sides on the table. If you are only a red wine drinker, then a nice Pinot Noir should great with all of the complex flavors that can end up on a plate. Also, many of the wine experts suggest a nice bottle of Champagne as the perfect accompaniment to a Thanksgiving feast. There really isn’t a perfect wine to pair with a traditional Thanksgiving meal. It basically it all comes down to what you like! Any of the wines mentioned above will work for you, or if you love the big bold cabs or a spicy zin, those would go nicely as well. A meal like this is more about family and friends and not so much the wine that is being served.

I wish you all a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving and please remember the people that can’t be with you on that this wonderful day!
Cheers!

No comments: