Thursday, June 11, 2009

Phil’s in the field!

This week’s PGA tour stop is in Memphis at the St. Jude Classic. This is the first tournament that Phil Mickleson will play in over a month since he wife Amy was diagnosed with breast cancer. Phil faced the press for the first time since the diagnoses and you could see all of this has taken a toll on him physically and emotionally. Here was his opening statement at the press conference:

"I've never been this emotional where if I'm driving alone or what have you I'll just start crying," Mickelson said. "It's kind of a weird thing. "I'm looking forward to having a four or five hour mental break where I force myself to focus on something else."
Phil also plans on playing in the US Open next weekend in New York at Bethpage Black for the US Open. Amy is not with him this week in Memphis nor will she be there in New York next week for the Open, but he should get plenty of support from the fans and players on tour. He is just going to play these two tournaments and then they are going to take a quick tropical getaway before she has surgery on July 1st. Then the recovery and treatments will begin. Phil has mentioned several times how scared he is for what they are about to face. I know the feeling and all I can say is do your research, ask questions, trust the doctors and most importantly, just be there for Amy and the kids. It is going to be a rough road, but they will get through it. From what I know about Amy Mickleson, my money is on her to beat this, just like my wife did!

No comments: