Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chipper, a Brave for life!

Today down in Orlando, Chipper Jones and the Braves have finalized a three-year contract extension that includes a fourth-year vesting option, a deal that could assure the third baseman gets his wish of playing his entire career with the Braves. Jones, who will turn 37 next month, won his first batting title last season when he hit a career-high, majors-leading .364 with 22 home runs and 75 RBIs in 128 games. He also earned his sixth National League All-Star selection and was voted a starter for the fourth time. He said last year that he hoped to play at least until he’s 40, and that he hoped to finish his career with the only team he’s ever played for in the majors, and the organization that made him the first overall selection in the 1990 draft.

Even though he is getting up there in age (as far as pro baseball players go) and he seems to get hurt pretty easily, I think this is a good thing for the team. He is a solid leader and is still putting up great numbers. If he can only stay healthy, the deal will be excellent. I hated to see Smoltz leave but I understand. I think GM Frank Wren learned from the Smoltz situation did the right thing by the contract extension. Nice work Frank!
I used to see Chipper when he first started out in single A ball in Macon, Ga. I would go to a lot of the Macon Braves games and see Chipper, Andrew Jones, Rafael Furcal, and even John Rocker. Those guys and many other Macon Braves players would come into the bar where I used to bar tend and hang out. Some of them were very pompous and rude but Chipper was always cool and willing to talk to me and other fans/patrons. Even though he did have some rough times with his first wife (who I also knew in Macon and fulfilled her dream of marrying a major leaguer) and a hooters waitress, he has kept his nose pretty clean and has been a great role model for kids everywhere. So I am happy he will get to finish his career as a Brave. I just hope we get at least one more World Series Championship for him before he retires!

Go Braves!

No comments: