Thursday, October 9, 2008

NHL Regular Season opens tonight!

Actually there were a few games last weekend that were played in Europe that count against the regular season standings, but I consider tonight the first night of the season. My Thrashers don’t play their first game until tomorrow night against the Washington Capitals, but there are some good ones on tap for tonight. Versus is showing a big time double hitter with the first game at 6:30 between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Detroit Red Wings and then the late game at 10:00 between the Boston Bruins and the Colorado Avalanche. Both should be pretty good games. This year, Versus will be introducing puck-tracking and telestrator technology. This system will digitally track the puck and allow viewers to follow the play with greater ease when analysts are discussing puck movement and its importance to specific highlights. But don’t worry; this will only be used during the network’s Hockey Central studio show and during intermissions. So it won’t be distracting when watching the game live. Here is the press release if you want to read more about the new technology and the Versus coverage.

I am looking forward to another exciting hockey season; I just hope my Thrashers have a better year than they did last year! But with a new coach and a lot of new faces, I am no counting on raising the cup this year. I am pretty optimistic but I realize it might take a year or so to get back to the top of the division and back into the playoffs.

No comments: