Thursday, October 16, 2008

National Boss Day!

I wasn’t aware that today was National Boss Day until my team presented me with a card and a gift. I had no idea what they were doing or why they were doing it, but it was extremely unexpected and very thoughtful. I work for a software company that doesn’t really treat their employees that great, but I try to treat my team fair and with respect. I guess they realize this, since I am the only one in my company that I know of that received a gift today. Of course most of the people probably didn’t realize that today was National Boss Day, but I want to think that my team really appreciates my efforts to make their jobs more enjoyable and that I respect them as people. Or I guess they could just be sucking up to me since several of them have reviews coming up!

National Boss Day was started in 1958 when Patricia Bays Haroski, then an employee at State Farm Insurance Company in Deerfield, Ill., registered the holiday with the Chamber of Commerce of the United States. She designated October 16 as the special day because it was her father's birthday. Ms. Haroski's purpose was to designate a day to show appreciation for her boss and other bosses. She also hoped to improve the relationship between employees and supervisors. She believed young employees often do not realize the challenges bosses face in running a business.
Who knew? Anyway, if you work for someone, it might be a good idea to at least wish him or her a Happy Boss Day even if you don’t have a gift. Isn’t it the thought that counts? That is what I am counting on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you big dawg! I'm sure they were just scared not to get you anything.
(kidding). Miss you guys.