Friday, August 8, 2008

Beijing Olympics!

I am very excited that today is the official start of the 08 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China. I have actually started watching the Olympic soccer games that started on Wednesday. Unfortunately, the US Women lost their open match to Norway, but the US Men did win yesterday over Japan. I guess I am an Olympic geek, but as you probably know by now, I love all kinds of sports. Anyway, I know a lot of people don’t care for the Olympics. They feel most of the the sports are relevant and it is all too commercial. I can agree with them on a certain level. I mean, I am not a huge fencing fan, but for the athletes that make that sport their lives, they deserve a stage like that this to showcase what they have dedicated their lives to. I will pretty much watch any event and I will always cheer to the US athletes. I feel like the Olympics bring out the best in people and it brings nations together. Having worked at two different Olympics in my life, I have seen and felt the excitement that takes over the city and towns where the events take place. It is truly electric!
Also, since my oldest son was born in the middle of August 04, when the Athens Olympics were going on, I spent many late nights up with him watching the games. Also, the games were on in the birthing room while Meg was in labor. So not only do I love watching the games, it brings back memories of my first days with my first born.

Go USA!

No comments: