Friday, August 14, 2009

Wine Review- 2007 Luzon (Value Alert!)

I stumbled upon this wine in one of my local wines stores and I will admit that it was the price that caught my eye. This bottle retails for $9.99 at the store I bought it but I have seen it cheaper on some sites online. Some of the value Spanish wines have a tart start and tend to be heavy on the palate. But this wine drinks like a more expensive wine. It is 65% Monastrell and 35% Syrah. In the glass, it is a deep purple color, and it exhibits a bouquet of spice, some floral notes and blueberry. On the palate it delivers huge plum and spice notes, with tobacco and herbs. It has a nice smooth finish with no bite at the end. It is not a subtle wine it is big and bold and will go well with spicey dishes or a big hunk of grilled meat. This wine is meant to be drank young so I wouldn’t cellar it for more than a couple of years. This value wine will compete with wines that cost double or more. If you are not a Spanish wine fan, try this one and you just might be converted!

Cheers!

No comments: