Tuesday, April 7, 2009

UNC NCAA Champs!

Well, I wish I could say I knew this was going to happen, but if that was the case, then I would have won my brackets pool instead of coming in 26th, but I did see the blowout coming once the finals were set. I felt like Michigan St. was going to have to play the game of their lives to even make it close against the much more talented UNC. But everything was falling into place for Cinderella story to come true for Michigan St. They had beat two other #1 seeds in Louisville and Uconn, they were playing in their home state, and all the talk was about how uplifting it would be to the city of Detroit and the entire state of Michigan if the Spartans were to win. It would have been a great story, but not a realistic one. UNC clearly had more talent and they took it to the Spartans fast and furious. Basically the game was over within the first five minutes due to turnovers by Michigan St. The Tar Heels led by 10 points after 5 minutes and 20 points after 10. They never let up and even though the finial was 89-72, the game wasn’t as close as the score looks.
Again, the final men’s college game of the year, didn’t live up to the hype. There were so many better games throughout the tournament. I am happy for my friends and family that are UNC alumni and fans, even though they are starting to get as obnoxious as Duke fans! But I guess if you have two titles in four years you can be a little cocky. I am also glad to see that Tyler Hansbrough was able to close out his college career with a National Title. He could have gone pro last year and cashed in, but he wanted to win another title. It is good to see something good happen to a kid who did the right thing and decided to finish he education and help his team win it all.

Congrats UNC!

No comments: