Friday, December 5, 2008

SEC Championship Game

Well, this is the weekend that all SEC football fans mark on their calendar at the start of the season, but only two teams make it to the Georgia Dome. As a Georgia fan, I am terribly disappointed that we are not playing this weekend but it should still be a good game. This year it will be #1 ranked Alabama versus #4 ranked Florida. What is strange is that the lower ranked team is favored by 9 ½ points. Go figure! I think the reason for this is the fact that Florida has put up amazing offensive numbers. The Gators have scored 38, 51, 63, 49, 42, 56, 70 and 45 points in their last 8 games. Of course those games weren’t played against defenses like Bama’s. Alabama will be ready for Tim Tebow and the Gator offense so don’t expect the Gators to put up another 50-point game.

This match up could be one of the best matchups in the history of the SEC Championship game. Gary Danielson of CBS Sports is calling it “Ali vs. Frasier.” It definitely has two of the most arrogant coaches in college football. Nick Saban from Alabama and Urban Meyer form Florida both think they are God’s gift to football and they aren’t afraid to tell you that! I really wish both teams could lose but I guess that is not possible. As a Georgia fan, I would rather have Alabama win just because I can’t stand to see the Gators win another SEC Championship and have a chance to play for the National Title. Also, I would love to see Tebow crying on the sidelines again! I certainly feel that who ever wins this game will play for and win the National Championship. So this is sort of like a national semi-final, which is the closest thing we will get to a playoff for a while. Even though I would rather have Alabama win, I think Florida will come out on top. It will be good for the SEC to have the winner of this game play for the National Championship, but it will suck for Georgia fans!

No comments: