Monday, September 8, 2008

Another successful Cancer surgery

Today another successful surgery has occurred for one of my family members. This time is was not Meg going under the knife it was my Dad. He is a very private person and didn’t want me to post anything about his situation before the surgery. He actually would not like me to bring this up now, but I know there are family and friends that need to know what is going on with him.

Earlier this summer my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. This was something that my dad and his doctor’s have been monitoring for a couple of years. His PSA (prostate-specific antigen) score was always very close to the danger zone and this summer the score increased and he officially had prostate cancer. After the entire family met with the doctor to discuss his options he decided to have the perineal surgery instead of the retopubic surgery or the different forms of radiation. This option made the most sense to all of my sisters, my mom and myself since it totally takes everything and removes the chance the cancer will return. My dad is in his early sixties and has many more years ahead of him so we wanted to make sure he will not have to deal with this more in the future. Also, in the case that some of the cancer did get out and was able to spread, he can then go to the radiation therapy next where as if he went radiation first, surgery would no longer be an option.
Anyway, the surgery was early on Monday morning and everything went well. Dr. Emerson was able to save the entire bundle of nerves and once the healing is complete, everything should function as normal. He could be able to go home as early as Tuesday and will have a couple of weeks to recover. For those of you who know my dad, you know that will be the hardest part for him, having to relax for a couple of weeks. I am sure he will be back working on his laptop by the end of the week.

This has been a tough year for my family and we have had to take on different types of cancer and face them head on. Through these tough times, I have seen how strong my family is and I couldn’t be prouder of them. It is overwhelming to hear that you or someone you love has cancer. The first thought in your mind is that you are going to die or lose a loved one. But now cancer is not an automatic death sentence! It can be beat and you can live a long, fruitful life after treatment. My family, my extended family and all of our friends have been so kind and generous. It defiantly helps having a strong support system and I am confident that things are going to be fine for Meg and for my dad for many, many years to come.

If you would like to make a donation to the Prostate Cancer Foundation, you can do so here:
https://www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/site/c.itIWK2OSG/b.275301/k.993B/General_Donation/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp?c=itIWK2OSG&b=275301&en=atLJLXPDK9LSI7OGL8KOJ9NXKtJXJ5NNJmIYL9NULlKTJdM2E

Hang in there Pop, things will be back to normal soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alan,
I am so glad the surgery went well and wish your Dad a speedy recovery.